Building community power to achieve environmental justice takes shared strategies and resources. Creating alliances to build a strong movement is a core strategy of Communities for a Better Environment.
As a leading California environmental justice organization, CBE has built a number of strategic alliances over its 34 years of work. We work with partners that share a common vision of building power in marginalized communities.
CBE works at the state and national levels with the California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA), a coalition of grassroots groups from throughout the state that work in low-income communities and push for environmental justice policy at local, state and national levels; and Grassroots Global Justice, a national alliance of popular organizations building a movement for peace, democracy and a sustainable world.
Collaboratives and Coalitions
Climate Justice Alliance (CJA): Our Power Campaign ~ CJA is a collaborative of over 35 community-based and movement support organizations uniting frontline communities to forge a scalable, and socio-economically just transition away from unsustainable energy towards local living economies to address the root causes of climate change.
- California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) ~ CBE is a founding member organization.
- Communities United
- Coalition for Clean and Safe Ports
Regional and National
- Grassroots Global Justice (national)
- Refinery Action Collaborative
- Southwest Network for Economic and Environmental Justice (SNEEJ)
- Clean Up Green Up
- Communities for Environmental Health and Justice (CEHAJ ) ~ CEHAJ is organizing to fight for environmental health and justice along the I-710 corridor in response to plans to widen the freeway.
- Don’t Waste LA
- Green LA Coalition
- Los Angeles Apollo Alliance
- East Oakland Building Healthy Communities Initiative
- Local Clean Energy Alliance
- Bay Area Environmental Health Collaborative
- Ditching Dirty Diesel Coalition
- Environmental Justice Air Quality Coalition (EJAQC)
- Richmond Equitable Development Initiative (REDI)
- Oakland Climate Action Coalition (OCAC) ~ CBE has been a steering committee of the OCAC since 2009, and through this coalition worked to ensure environmental, climate justice and health policies were included in Oakland’s Climate Action Plan. Over 50 of the 150 policies included in Oakland’s Energy and Climate Action Plan came directly from the Coalition. Originally founded by a key ally Ella Baker Center, as of 2012 the coalition includes over 50 organizational members and allies.